The D2 Summit has implemented new rules for the 2016-2017 season including the following:
1. D2 Summit will now be offering Wild Card bids across select Varsity All Star events! These Wild Card Bids give Youth, Junior and Senior teams the chance to earn their way into the D2 Summit.
2. 1st and 2nd place WILDCARD teams advance straight to FINALS on Sunday and 3rd place WILDCARD teams will move to Saturday.
3. Teams accepting Wild Card Bids are NOT eligible to accept At-Large D2 Summit Bids, however, they can upgrade to a Paid D2 Summit Bid. Unused Wild Card Bids will not be passed down.
4. You MUST compete with the number of athletes that you qualify with. You can compete with less as long as it keeps you in the same division. You will only be able to replace 25% of your roster from the time you received your bid until you compete at the D2 Summit. Example: A team of 20 competes and receives a bid, they can only replace 5 athletes at the time of the D2 Summit competition.
5. Single location D2 programs are the ONLY teams eligible for D2 Summit bids. Gyms must be of Division II size (125 athletes or less) when they receive a D2 Summit bid and MUST remain a D2 size gym when they arrive at the D2 Summit. Once a program goes above 125 athletes they will have to release their D2 bid, if they have one, and will not be eligible for D2 bids the remainder of the season.
Definition of multiple location:
Share a tax ID
Share an owner
Have a franchising/liscending agreement with another gym
Have similar enough name OR branding it would confuse the consumer as to being part of a bigger gym
Share family plan or use multiple locations to meet family plan
If there is any possible confusion it is on the owners of the locations to prove to Varsity and the customers they are not a multi-location gym.
6. A team can declare at any given competition that they are going for an Summit or D2 Summit bid, but if that team is split into a D2 division at that competition, they must either go for the D2 Summit bid or move into a standard division to compete against teams going for The Summit bid.
7. Once your team earns a bid for D2 Summit or the Summit, they MUST stay with that specific track to earn a higher bid throughout the reminder of the season.
Wild Card D2 Summit Bid- You can ONLY upgrade to a PAID D2 Summit bid.
Paid D2 Summit Bid– You must use your Paid D2 Summit bid. This bid type or location cannot be changed.
At-Large D2 Summit Bid– You can ONLY upgrade to a PAID D2 Summit bid.
Wild Card/ At Large Summit Bids– You can ONLY upgrade to a PAID Summit bid.
8. For final advancements at the D2 Summit, all divisions with 10 or less teams in Semi Finals will have 5 teams advance to finals.
All divisions with 11-19 teams in Semi Finals will have 50% of the division advance to finals.
All divisions with 20 or more teams in Semi-Finals will have 10 teams in the division advance to finals.